Account Login/Registration

Access ShuswapNow using your Facebook account, or by entering your information below.




Privacy Policy

UPDATE: RCMP investigating after Sea to Sky Gondola's cable cut for 2nd time in a year

(UPDATE: Sept. 14 @ 11:51 am): Squamish RCMP has confirmed it is investigating after the main cable for the Sea to Sky Gondola was cut for the second time in just over a year.

Mounties said they were called at 4 am.

The gondola cable had been cut and had "crashed into the mountain," the RCMP explained.

<who> Photo credit: Squamish RCMP

An "extensive amount of resources" have been deployed to the area and the public has been asked to stay away from the area – including climbing routes, hiking trails and parking lots.

"We are only a few hours into this investigation and we ask the public to stay out of the area," said Sgt. Sascha Banks.

"The Sea to Sky Gondola is an integral part of this community and we very lucky no one was injured. Someone in our area has seen something or has heard something and we are asking them to call us immediately with any information."

<who> Photo credit: Squamish RCMP

West Vancouver Police Department, the Integrated Police Dog Services and other teams are aiding in the investigation.

Contact the Squamish RCMP at 604-892-6100 or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS, or go to the website, to report tips.

(Original story: Sept. 14 @ 7:49 am): The Sea to Sky Gondola’s cable has been cut once again – just over a year after it last happened.

According to the popular tourist attraction’s website, the vandalism occurred at about 4 am this morning.

“No staff or guests were on the line,” the company explained.

<who> Photo credit: RCMP </who> The gondola after the cable was cut last August.

“We are working with the RCMP and our efforts are focussed on the well-being of our staff at this time.

"The gondola will be closed until further notice."

"Something you’d never think would happen once in a lifetime has happened twice," Kirby Brown, the general manager of the gondola, told Squamish radio station Mountain FM.

He said someone climbed a tower and cut through the cable, despite security measures that were in place.

Members of the public have been asked to stay away from the area "for the safety of everyone."

Brown said he will rebuild once again.

The cable was cut in August of 2019, causing shock around BC and Canada.

Damages were estimated to be up to $10 million.

The gondola, which is based in Squamish, reopened in February.

Visit our Facebook page to comment on this story.

Sign up for local eNews delivered to your inbox by 7 am every day.

Send your comments, news tips, letter to the editor, photos and videos to [email protected].

To report a typo, send an email to [email protected].







Top Stories

Follow Us

Follow us on Instagram Follow us on Twitter Like us on Facebook